Sunday 21 October 2012

Running the Minithon

So today was the day, five weeks after my knee op and with not much training I had a sponsored run to do. I wasn't sure how it was going to go as although I have made a start on the C25K running plan, I've not done as much as I would have liked and am still very definitely at the couch end of the plan.

It looked like a nice day for a run though and I was feeling ok about things as I got on the tram to make my way over to Chorlton. Got there pretty early and had this horrible feeling I was going to be running round Chorlton on my own but more people soon started to arrive. The minithon is a joint thing between Ace, FC United, Stockport County and Rochdale Hornets so it was nice to see a few faces from Hornets who I've not seen for ages. Looking forward to getting back to the rugby soon for another of my challenges.

Anyway back to the running - they were setting off in three waves, what I call proper runners, joggers and strollers. I wasn't really sure where to put myself as I wanted to give it a good go at running but knew I would probably end up strolling at some stage. In the end I went for wave 2 and I think that was probably the right place for me to be.

Ready to run!
 

I set off running but got tired pretty quickly. Luckily I had my secret weapon with me - Dan!!! He was great at keeping me motivated and making me run more than I probably would have done if I was on my own. He told me to pick an object and make myself run at least up until that point. Doing that, I kind of ran a bit, walked a bit all the way round. It was really hot which didn't help but I think I did ok. Running down one side of the river and seeing my dad still making his way up the other side was an especially nice feeling :-)

Once we got off the river and into the shade of some trees it was much cooler and I was able to enjoy my running more. That's why my last k was my fastest and not as Dan says because I wasn't trying hard enough before.

Here's the stats. Won't be winning any medals any time soon but I got round so I'm still pretty proud of myself.



 Thank you to everybody who has sponsored me so far. Up to now I've raised £70 for Ace Centre, a good start to my raising money for charity challenge. If you didn't want to part with your cash until you knew I'd done it (and I can't say I blame you!) theres still time - just click here!



No comments:

Post a Comment